Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Meaning of Compassion: Dalai Lama


Recently the 14th Dalai Lama came to visit us in Toronto. My daughter and I were touched by his words and it made us think about the Uganda Water & Garden Project. He spoke about his belief that young people would play a critical role in bringing about world peace.


He identified two types of actions that are needed in this world:
1. Compassionate Action
2. Human-to-Human Connection

I recently came across a written explanation of the meaning of "compassion" in his words:
"Our concept of compassion refers to the feeling of closeness we have with our friends and loved ones. Sometimes compasion also carries a sense of pity. This is wrong - any compassion which entails looking down on the other is not genuine compassion. To be genuine, compassion must be based on respect for the other, and on the realization that others have the right to be happy and overcome suffering, just as much as you. On this basis, since you can see that others are suffering, you develop a genuine sense of concern for them." H.H. The XIV Dalai Lama.

This resonated with me. As someone who lives with disability (used a wheelchair for years), I invite people to feel human compassion alongside me. I would not appreciate pity or being crafted into a hero. I am a citizen of the world who, like so many other people, struggles to overcome suffering and experiences moments of tremendous joy too.

I am incredibly appreciative of all that I have been able to learn and feel through my work on this project with my colleagues including youth leaders and educators of Uganda and Canada.



0 comments:

 
Uganda Water and Garden Project. Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul Tested by Blogger Templates.